17 September 2008

Gracie girl....

Once in a while, I find myself walking along through life doing just fine. And then something happens and bam, I'm struck back down on my knees! Just like that.

A couple of days ago that happened to me. I was just going along with my day, with my life and this song started playing, "Gracie" by Ben Folds. I'd never heard it before, and just like that, I was there with tears streaming down my face, completely taken by surprise, off-guard and what was lost was right there in front of me. A life with Grace. A baby, a toddler, a child, all of those years just wiped away and the song, so haunting, so lovely, so simple just undid me.

Two days later, I think, the puffiness in my eyes is decreasing, and I am starting to return to this world again but not without this song playing in my head over and over again.

"You can't fool me, I saw you when you came out....and there is always gonna be a part of me nobody else is gonna see but you and me..."

And sometimes you just have to be prepared for when life catches you off guard.

1 comment:

arah said...

Sara said you had heard it on my blog. I figured you had heard the song before. sorry it made you cry so hard, but a hard cry can be good for you. It reminds me too, of all the things I will miss with Olivia too.
by the way, Virginia did an EXCELLENT job on the article. She read it to me over the phone as I sat in my husbands CricKet store, and I just sobbed. That had to look a little wierd to people. She couldn't have said it nay better. I hope that the whold thing gets MISS and Forget Me Not some attention.
I missed having you at the baby shower last night.